Dear Parents and Guardians,
Akron Children’s Hospital will be offering Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines at your child’s school. At this time, only students ages 12 and older are eligible to receive the Pfizer two-dose vaccine.
Here is some important information for you to know:
• Vaccinations are VOLUNTARY. All health information will be kept strictly confidential by the school and Akron Children’s Hospital.
• Student vaccinations will be given during the school day at your child’s school.
• The amount of time a student will be out of class is expected to be 20-30 minutes.
• Vaccinations will be administered by Akron Children’s Hospital nursing staff.
• Students will receive the Pfizer vaccine. This is a two-dose vaccine. The doses are scheduled 3 weeks apart. Please review the attached information sheet from the CDC about the Pfizer vaccine.
• Parents will not be able to accompany their child to the vaccine clinic.
• All physical distancing and COVID safety protocols will be followed.
• Students should wear tops that allow easy access to their shoulder for vaccination.
• Parents are encouraged to visit akronchildrens.org for more information about COVID-19 and frequently asked questions (https://www.akronchildrens.org/pages/2019-Novel-Coronavirus-Frequently-Asked-Questions.html).
If you want your child to receive this vaccine, a completed consent form must be returned to the school clinic by September 15. Students who do not have a completed consent form will not be scheduled for vaccination. Your child’s school located vaccine clinic appointment date will be set once all consent forms are received. Vaccine dates per school building will begin the following week.
Thank you for your continued partnership with Akron Children’s Hospital, School Health Services
Michele L. Wilmoth, MSN, RN, LSN, NCSN
Director of School Health Services
Akron Children’s Hospital